The Certificate in Area Studies: Eastern Europe at Great Northern University provides the student with a strong foundation in the historical, cultural and linguistic characteristics of Eastern European peoples, with an emphasis on the East Slavic people and their distinctive worldviews, and their influence in Eastern Europe.
The program adds distinctiveness and breadth to any B.A. in Intercultural Studies or Interdisciplinary degree, and is applicable to any related career path. This includes cross-cultural missions, government service, or work with private NGOs serving in Eastern Europe.
The emphasis of this program integrates knowledge of the history and culture of this region with a cultivation of one’s faith and vision for cross-cultural and cross-linguistic service among East Slavs.
What Can I Do with a Certificate in Area Studies: Eastern Europe?
- Cross-cultural missions or leadership in an East Slavic context
- Government service area specialist
- Cross-cultural consulting
- Serve overseas with an NGO or entrepreneurship initiative
- Begin further studies in history/culture or certification in education
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Certificate in Area Studies: Eastern Europe, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate and articulate in detail an understanding of the historical, cultural, and social forces that influenced the development of East Slavic culture and the modern states of Eastern Europe from ancient times to the present day.
- Exhibit critical thinking and analytical skills for examining the interaction between historical and geo-political developments and the development of major aspects of the modern cultures of Eastern Europe.
- Articulate the major historical issues related to the development of the cultural worldview of modern East Slavic cultures and its implications for cross-cultural ministry.
- Demonstrate in written and verbal communication a strong understanding of the major challenges and issues related to cross-cultural service in an East Slavic cultural context.