The TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) Certificate at Great Northern University provides students with an internationally recognized certificate in teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL – Teaching English as a Foreign Language), with application to TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) teaching.
The certificate provides students with a understanding of the principles of cross-cultural English language teaching, classroom management, and lesson planning. Additionally, the certificate further develops practical skills necessary for the effective planning and delivery of course content, including emphasis on leadership in the classroom, the assessment of students, and delivery of curriculum, while promoting skills in cross-cultural classroom communication.
What Can I Do with a TESOL Certificate?
- Teach in cross-cultural contexts
- Lay ministry and trade opportunities in countries with limited access
- Advance education in underdeveloped countries
- Begin further studies in Linguistics, Teaching or Education
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the TESOL Certificate, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of major principles related to the teaching of a second or foreign language, especially as applied to teaching English.
- Integrate theoretical insights from Second Language Acquisition research with biblical principles to articulate a sound philosophy of English language teaching.
- Apply to teaching practice effective methods of instruction and assessment related to the acquisition of key grammatical aspects of English.
- Implement effective pedagogical principles for the teaching and integration of all modalities (listening, reading, speaking, and writing) in creating lessons and materials for TESOL.